Saturday, July 6, 2013

Clarke VS Asimov


            I was pretty annoyed when I found out that Mumbai had no public libraries. I was also annoyed when I found out that the British Council Library, a ‘private library,’ didn’t carry Isaac Asimov’s books. I was even more annoyed when I realized that the BCL search engine was just as atrocious as the Washington Country library service search engine was. But I digress. Back to Asimov.

            For me it was a terrible blow to be estranged from this wonderful author I had just discovered. My mother’s ear was subject to these complaints, and soon enough, I found myself sitting upright in bed with Arthur C. Clarke’s “2001: A Space Odyssey” in my hands.

I was suspicious, to say the least. I mean, who was this imposter Brit, who thought he could go around calling himself the greatest SF author of all time? Perhaps I was being too hard on him. After all, he had co-created one of the greatest movies of all time. Then again, Asimov’s movie had Will Smith in it.

            I cannot deny that Clarke is a good writer. His books have that essential quality of being page turners. Indeed, he does make very obvious attempts at creating suspense. The last line of each chapter practically begs you to flip the page.

            The most common praise given to him is his understanding of science. I think it is more remarkable that he is able to seamlessly convey this understanding of science through the story, without taking away from the action. Clarke uses science to add to the action.

            To be fair, while Clarke and Asimov both were masters of SF, they wrote about two completely different fields. Asimov conjured tales of robots secretly running our world, whereas Clarke concerned himself with ancient, godlike beings who monitored the universe with massive and iconic monoliths.

            Honestly, there was something about Clarke’s description of space that clicked with me. Clarke has made me a thrall to the wonders of space, and I devour his books to experience them. So farewell for now, Mr. Asimov. I’m blasting off to Europa.

No comments:

Post a Comment