Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Why Do We Exist?


            One of the greatest advantages humans have, the advantage that has been a major contributor to our (arguable) success, is our inherent ability to question. Humans are masters of asking why. The why has driven us to make astounding and wonderful discoveries of our Universe.  Yet the question, why do we exist, or better yet, for what do we exist, may never be answered.

            The answer to that question is probably quite anti-climactic. I doubt there is any over-arching purpose for which we humans were built, aside from existence. But that isn’t a very satisfactory answer. The fact is, humans need purpose to continue to exist. Without our whys, humans would have any drive to understand anything, no drive to better ourselves, and no need to become anything more than animals. Humans need an answer to that question of why we exist, and often, humans make up an answer to satisfy ourselves.

            I personally know how important purpose is. Summers and vacations can be especially tough on me. I used to think that my sister was crazy when she chose to intern during the summer. I mean, why would you want to lose all this free time you have? Now I understand. The experience of having hours in your hand with nothing worthwhile to do makes one abhor life. This summer, when I finally found a self-improving activity that I liked (programming), the sense of elation I felt was indescribable. I don’t think I’ve ever been in such a good mood all my life.

            So then it’s pretty clear that boredom often arises from our inability to find purpose in life, or, our unwillingness to accept the answer that has been given to us. If that’s the case, the solution is to make a smaller goal, a smaller purpose for yourself, and then work on achieving that. The wisdom you gain from your successes will accumulate, until you are able to craft your own personal answer for your existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment